Montroy DeMarco Architecture
has completed the redevelopment of 101 Greenwich Street (formerly known as Two Rector Street) in the Financial District. Built in 1905 and designed by Clinton and Russell
for a freight shipping conglomerate, the 26-story, 481,000-square-foot office building has undergone a re-positioning from a Class B to a Class A office tower to attract tenants in TAMI (technology, advertising, media, and information) as well as those from the financial and hospitality sectors. Significant upgrades were made to the property’s technology, MEP, and fire alarm systems, as well as its lobby, elevators, and bathrooms. Originally 23 stories—three floors were added in 1927—the building’s limestone façade with terracotta ornamentation has been repaired and restored. The building’s public arcade space and lobby, formerly separated by large column enclosures to restrict access to its interior, have been brought back together. A floor-to-ceiling glass wall opens up the arcade, essentially extending the lobby to the outside. Additionally, same light-colored marble pavers were used in the lobby and arcade floors, creating visual continuity. The redesigned lobby also features a reclaimed-wood plank wall, illustrating the building’s connection to freight shipments. The existing entrance along Trinity Place was enclosed to offer tenants a lounge area equipped with a small library of books relating to New York City real estate and history. Owned and developed by Cove Property Group and Bentall Kennedy, the buillding was redesigned to achieve a LEED Silver certification.
Source: AIA NY Oculus Magazine